Nature Discovery Centre
The Nature Discovery Centre offers a great day out for all the family
Please note: It is with regret that due to Covid-19 restrictions, the Nature Discovery Centre café and toilets are CLOSED until further notice. Our main car park is closed, but the two smaller car parks will remain open during this period. Please help us by taking your litter home with you.
We look forward to welcoming you back when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, stay safe.
The Centre is packed full of interactive wildlife and natural history displays. There is a network of footpaths ranging from small family-friendly walks to longer paths for the more adventurous. Surrounded by a mosaic of different habitats, there is fantastic wildlife to see all year around.
- Lakeside café offering delicious hot and cold refreshments
- Adventure Playgrounds
- Gift shop with a great range of wildlife themed gifts, toys and books
- Picnic facilities
- Toilets, disabled toilets and baby changing
- Signposted walk routes and seasonal Wildlife Discovery Trail
- Thatcham Community Orchard
Where to find us
|Please note: the A4 junction with Lower Way, the main way into NDC from Newbury, is shut from 4 -9 March. More info here.|
We are located between Thatcham and Newbury, a short distance off the A4 at:
Nature Discovery Centre, Muddy Lane, Lower Way, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG19 3FU
Tel: 01635 874381
Download a map and directions
- The Nature Discovery Centre building, café and toilets are currently CLOSED due to the national lockdown. We look forward to welcoming you back when it is safe to do so. In the meantime, stay safe.
Car Park opening times
- Our main car park is currently CLOSED due to the national lockdown. The two smaller car parks will remain open during this period.
Get the most from your visit
The centre, cafe and toilets are wheelchair accessible. The Red Trail around the lake is suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Gentle slopes, gates, benches, unsurfaced paths may become muddy in wet weather. There are trails suitable for all abilities.
Bringing your dog
Dogs are welcome on the reserve, but please keep them out of the lake. We ask that you keep dogs under close control at all times. Dogs, except assistance dogs, are not permitted inside the visitor centre.
Birds at the Nature Discovery Centre
Throughout the year, one of our volunteers surveys the species of bird found on site. Below is a list showing the trend of different species and numbers of each throughout the year.
Our volunteer also leads regular walks around the reserve to help visitors learn about what they can see and hear during their visit, and to learn more about each species. Visit our events page to find details of all our bird walks.
More ways to get involved
Hire a space at one of our visitor centres or nature reserves, join a wildlife club, or plan a group visit.