Nature Discovery Centre
|Please note: we have been made aware that a sewage leak occurred at Thatcham Reedbeds, which adjoins the Nature Discovery Centre, on Tuesday 10 September. Environment Agency and Thames Water staff are responding to the incident. We are advising all people to keep themselves and their pets out of the water at the NDC and Thatcham Reedbeds as a precautionary measure, until we get confirmation from the Environment Agency.|
The Nature Discovery Centre offers a great day out for all the family
The Centre is packed full of interactive wildlife and natural history displays. There is a network of footpaths ranging from small family-friendly walks to longer paths for the more adventurous. Surrounded by a mosaic of different habitats, there is fantastic wildlife to see all year around.
- Lakeside café offering delicious hot and cold refreshments
- Adventure Playgrounds*
- Gift shop with a great range of wildlife themed gifts, toys and books
- Picnic facilities
- Toilets, disabled toilets and baby changing
- Signposted walk routes and seasonal Wildlife Discovery Trail
- Thatcham Community Orchard
* Update summer 2019: The adventure playgrounds near the visitor centre are being improved this summer. Contractors for West Berkshire council have started work on one of the playgrounds (suitable for older children) and should be finished around the end of July. They'll start work on the other playground after that. We hope the work won't disrupt your visit to us. For any more information please contact the council.
Download a map and directions
Centre opening times (including shop and café)
Summer (April-October): Open 7 days a week, including bank holidays. 10:30am-5pm
- Winter (November-March): Tuesday-Sunday 10:30am-4pm. Closed Mondays
Car parking and admission to the centre are free. We welcome donations. Charges apply for special events (please see our events page for more information)
Car Park opening times
- All year round: Open from 8am every day; subject to seasonal locking times (please check the boards on your arrival).
Get the most from your visit
The centre, cafe and toilets are wheelchair accessible. The Red Trail around the lake is suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Gentle slopes, gates, benches, unsurfaced paths may become muddy in wet weather. There are trails suitable for all abilities.
Bringing your dog
Dogs are welcome on the reserve, but please keep them out of the lake. We ask that you keep dogs under close control at all times. Dogs, except assistance dogs, are not permitted inside the visitor centre.
Birds at the Nature Discovery Centre
Throughout the year, one of our volunteers surveys the species of bird found on site. Below is a list showing the trend of different species and numbers of each throughout the year.
Our volunteer also leads regular walks around the reserve to help visitors learn about what they can see and hear during their visit, and to learn more about each species. Visit our events page to find details of all our bird walks.
What's on at The Nature Discovery Centre
More ways to get involved
Hire a space at one of our visitor centres or nature reserves, join a wildlife club, or plan a group visit.