College Lake Visitor Centre
An outstanding centre for wildlife that delights and informs wildlife watchers of all ages
Please note: College Lake nature reserve and car park are now open from Tue-Sun. The visitor centre remains closed. Please check our new opening times and information about visiting here.
Explore the interactive displays in our visitor centre and around the reserve. Enjoy delicious food and drinks in the café or take stroll around our beautiful lake. College Lake is one of the best places in Buckinghamshire for water birds and there’s something to see all year round.
- Café offering delicious hot and cold refreshments
- Gift shop with a great range of wildlife themed gifts, toys and books
- Bird hides
- Interactive geology displays
- Farming and wildlife exhibit
- Picnic facilities
- Toilets, disabled toilets and baby changing
- Signposted walk routes and seasonal Wildlife Discovery Trail
Where to find us
We are located 2 miles north of Tring, Buckinghamshire at:
College Lake, Upper Icknield Way, Bulbourne, Tring, Herts, HP23 5QG
Find us on GoogleMaps
Download a map and directions
College Lake has now partially re-opened. Things will look slightly different from normal - please read the guidance below before planning your visit.
- We are open Tuesday to Sunday from 9.30 am – 5 pm.
- The visitor centre building will remain closed.
- The shop will temporarily be situated in Graham's Hide (large hide opposite the Visitor Centre) to allow for social distancing.
- The café will be open 10.30am til 3pm and serving a takeaway menu only.
- Tramper (mobility vehicles for hire) will not be accessible at this time.
- Bulbourne footpath and some footpaths around the site will remain closed. These will be clearly signed.
- The outside toilets at the barn area will be open during business hours. This includes accessible toilet and baby changing facilities.
- We will have to cap the numbers on site so please do not travel too far as you may be turned away if we are at capacity. This includes visitors arriving on foot as well as by car.
- Limited numbers will be permitted in each hide.
You can really help us by complying with the following:
- Remember to observe social distancing when queuing and using the picnic seating
- Use a card to pay whenever possible – there is no limit on credit card transactions.
- Please respect our beautiful sites by taking the time to use the correct recycling bins. We will be using more takeaway containers and so this is even more important now.
- If you need any assistance whilst on site please look for a member of staff wearing hi-vis who will be happy to help you.
- Please do not bring scooters, bikes, trikes, drones or swimming equipment.
- Please remember that only assistance dogs are allowed on site.
New opening times (from Wed 8 July)
(please note changes due to the Coronavirus lockdown)
We will be open on the August Bank Holiday (Monday 31 August) from 9.30am-5pm
Day of the week
|Reserve and car park||Café (takeaway only)|
|Tue||9.30am-5pm (last admission 4pm)||10.30am-3pm|
|Wed||9.30am-5pm (last admission 4pm)||10.30am-3pm|
|Thur||9.30am-5pm (last admission 4pm)||10.30am-3pm|
|Fri||9.30am-5pm (last admission 4pm)||10.30am-3pm|
|Sat||9.30am-5pm (last admission 4pm)||10.30am-3pm|
|Sun||9.30am-5pm (last admission 4pm)||10.30am-3pm|
Admission to the centre is free. We ask for a donation of £3 for parking. Charges apply for special events (please see our Events page for more information)
Get the most from your visit
Some wheelchair access, including hides; two mobility Tramper vehicles are avaliable to use* - contact us on 01442 826774 or email@example.com to book.
*these are currently unavailable as part of our measures to contain the spread of Covid-19. We will update this page when they are available again.
Gentle slopes, some surfaced paths, gates, benches
Assistance dogs only please.
Bikes and scooters
Help us look after the wildlife on this reserve by leaving scooters and bikes at home or locking them up on the racks provided. Enjoy stretching your legs on our reserve instead.
We welcome groups, but ask that you let us know about your visit by contacting us on 01442 826774 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What's on at College Lake
More ways to get involved
Hire a space at one of our visitor centres or nature reserves, join a wildlife club, or plan a group visit.