Enjoy this secluded wildlife gem - once described as one of the richest habitats in middle England - throughout the seasons.
The diversity of this small nature reserve is quite staggering. Boasting ancient broadleaved woodland, limestone grasslands, reedbed, fen, a stream and rare Oxfordshire heathland, the reserve supports over 400 plant species. The site is also teeming with birds and insect life; butterflies include the purple hairstreak, brown hairstreak, common blue and marbled white.
Sequence of flowers
In spring, cowslips and hairy violets begin a procession of changing colour in the flower-rich grassland. This festival peaks in summer with a display of knapweed, small scabious, yellow rattle, common rock-rose, wild basil and marjoram.
The heath's gorse, with its coconut-scented flowers, attracts flocks of linnet. Lizards can often be seen basking in this sunshine on stacked log piles. Grass snakes and slow-worms can occasionally be glimpsed. The unusual nutrient-poor sandy soil provides a perfect niche for heath specialists including heather and a diverse community of solitary wasps and bees that live in burrows in the sand.
Reserve champions - supporting their favourite reserve
Things to do
- Try our circular Wildlife Walk (3/4 mile). Just follow the badger waymarkers.
- Volunteer with our regular work parties on the reserve.
- Help us manage this reserve by supporting us
- Tweet your wildlife sightings to @bbowt
- Sign up to our e-newsletter
Download the site risk assessment.
Your photographs of Sydlings Copse
Share your photographs of Sydlings Copse with us! Add them to the BBOWT flickr group, and tag them 'Sydlings Copse'.
Species and habitats
- Grassland, Heathland, Wetland, Woodland
- Amethyst Deceiver, Fly Agaric, Bee Orchid, Bluebell, Columbine, Rock-rose, Cowslip, Crab Apple, Early Purple Orchid, Gorse, Herb-Paris, Marsh-marigold, Primrose, Ramsons, Spindle, Viper's-bugloss, Wayfaring-tree, Wild Cherry, Wild liquorice, Wood Anemone, Wood Spurge, Woolly Thistle, Yellow Archangel, Bloody-nosed Beetle, Brimstone, Comma, Marbled White, Orange-tip, Purple Hairstreak, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood, Common Lizard, Grass Snake, Slow-worm, Stonechat, Badger, Red Fox, Roe Deer, Weasel